Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S235JR good for bending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macPT

Mechanical
Oct 22, 2002
PT
Hi all

I am designing some components for wich I am considering using the structural steel S235JR EN10025. These components will be made from 4mm bended sheet (bend radius 4mm).

Can I use this material without problems or should I predict problems in the bending process (like craks)?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

Pls forgive me late reply. I would not expect any serious problems in this particular case becasue S235JR is rather ductile grade. Anyway, please remember that final results will depend on:
1. actual chemical composition with regard to secondary steelmaking practices(no data),
2. actual Rm to Re ratio (no data),
3. bending angle and mandrel diameter used,
4. direction of bending in relation to rolling direction (for 4mm thikcness the recommended minimum bending diameter is 5mm for transverse and 6 mm for longitudinal direction).

Under normal circumstances, the steel grades designed for cold working puropses, including bending, should have "C" letter added after the steel grade name, i.e. S235JRC in your case.

Considering your thickness 4 mm and bend radius 4mm (see tables 8 & 9 in EN10025:1990+A1:1993 version) I would not expect any problems providing the bending angle is not more than 90 degress.

You may also feel safe when bending angle is 120 degress but using the mandrel of diameter not less than
d =3 x thickness, i.e. 12mm (the statement based on my own experience).

The problems may occur when bending angle approach 180 degrees and the mandrel diameter is relatively small.

To be able to tell you more I would need to know the full chemical composition, actual mechanical proprties and direction of bending.

Best regards,
iceclass1994

Thanks iceclass

I've bought one sheet and performed some cuting and bending tests.

Until now, all samples (4mm radius, 90 degrees bending) performed well. But I will do some more NDT to be shure.

I am trying to use this quality in opposition to the DD13 (EN10111), which is a grade more suitable to cold working, but I have two constraints:
- price (the DD13 price his much higher)
- mechanical strength (the S235 is a structural grade, with a minimum Re - 235MPa - higher than DD13 - 170MPa)

So far, the results are being good.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back