Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SA 106 B PIPE 1" sh 40 Welded with flange 300# rfso

Status
Not open for further replies.

stan000

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2014
CA
SA 106 B PIPE 1" sh 40 Welded with flange 300# RFSO , whole vessel goes for P.W.H.T , DO I NEED PWHT welding procedure for pipe welding to flange.

Regards
stanly

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Glad this vessel isn't being built for my company. This design would violate our vessel standards in at least two three ways.

If this happens to be a Section VIII Div. 1 vessel, then I find it interesting that we have carbon steel with, apparently, zero corrosion allowance being used. Makes a poor design even worse.

To have a better sleep, just to have PWHT the flange weld which is part of the whole vessel. No question to be asked and no needed for explanation.

Do you have a groove weld PQR/WPS with PWHT for welding the pipe to the vessel ?
If yes then you should write a fillet weld WPS with PWHT based on that PQR for the flange to pipe weld.

GenB,
Interested in your response
" No addl procedure required if part of the vessel. I will not comment on the design."

If he has used a fillet weld WPS without PWHT and addition of PWHT is an essential variable then surely the weld is unqualified once it has been heat treated ?
I cannot understand what being part of the vessel has to do with it ?
Cheers,
Shane

DSB123,
Everyone seems to be in agreement that the design (or lack of) is a problem.
I was just focusing on the original question from the OP and it is probably too late to change anything now,
Cheers,
Shane

DekDee,
I was not responding to your post so there is no need to drag my name into it. There is only one poster who questions the "design". The basic fact is you should never use 1"nb Sch40 CS branches on anything since structurally the branch is not sound!!!!

Only speculation.....but I believe GenB was stating no additional procedure needed as a PWHT procedure would have to be used for the vessel, as it is going for PWHT. Again, speculation.

I assume that you are PWHT'ing the vessel with the 1" nozzle but without the flange.

I assume that you intend to PWHT or have already performed PWHT on the vessel without welding the flange to the 1" nozzle. You may do so without additional PWHT of that weld unless PWHT is a requirement for service.

ypu

Shane. You are totally correct. There is an assumption that if the vessel is to be PWHT,all welds are done with PWHT Procedures. The poster did not supply all needed info. He probably welded already the flange and want clearance...from the forum. He can very well keep it and run the proper tests, at the sme time beg the Inspector to approve it.

General Blr. CA,USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back