Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SA-193 B8 CL2 bolts torque for B16.5 Ring Joint #2500 and #600 application

FPPE

Mechanical
Mar 4, 2022
IT
Hi,

Could you please provide torque chart for bolts in SA-193 B8 CL2 for ring joint B16.5 flanges application, with rating 2500 and 600?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Torque is dependent on a lot of things, which yo haven't specified — for example, not only flange size, but also flange material, gasket material, anti-seize, etc. One crucial aspect is knowing/understanding the nut factor. In the end, the gasket stress is what matters, and that's achieved by bolt load. Getting load by torque heavily depends on (understanding) friction, hence the nut factor. Tooling is another factor (Im foreseeing future comments saying this requires bolt tensioning rather than hydraulic tooling).

In general, this question is too open to be answered, but is also asking if someone else wants to do your homework, for a subject matter you might not know enough about.

Start reading PCC-1, and take this excellent free course by HexTech on PCC-1. If you then still have further questions, Id be happy to hep wherever I can.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

XL83NL, thank you for your reply and I apologize if my question was superficial.
I meant to ask if there were directly tables for these combinations, leaving out the flange material and obviously providing different options for nut factor and tooling.
I will try to calculate the torque anyway by setting up the calculation with the App. K or with the App. O joint approach of PCC-1.

Appendix O has some default torque values, but not for your situation (RTJ).

Whats the size and flange material? What K-factor do you expect?

A bit off-topic here, hopefully someone more knowledgeable on BFJ's and PCC-1 isreading along; how does one determine the appropriate Appendix O factor for RTJ gaskets?
Especially O-4.1 Sg[sub]T[/sub], Sg[sub]max[/sub], Sg[sub]min-S[/sub] and Sg[sub]min-O[/sub]. Im assuming φg = 0.7. EN 1355 doesn't have data on RTJ's

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

XL83NL,

K-factor should be about 0.20.
Flange material Monel 400 SB-564 N04400 - 1/2", 4", 6" and 8".
Thanks for the answer.

r6155, thanks for the advice.

Back