Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SA 285-C FBQ 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMenJr

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2006
US
We have a 1951/52 vessel "alteration" to do and the shell material along with some very large nozzles and all reinforcement pads utilize SA 285-C FBQ material. I know that FBQ means Fire Box Quality and I have seen it used with other materials also. Does anyone out there know if all SA 285-C material is FBQ or is this some special version of SA 285-C. You see FBQ more on much older vessels. What does Fire Box Quality (FBQ) mean?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just to add to the above after a little digging around of my files;
Firebox Quality steel plate had tighter control over chemical composition to assure specified minimum mechanical properties prior to the development of SA 515 steel plate. SA-285 Grade C is not the same as fire box quality SA 285 Grade C. If anything, SA 515 plate would be an equivalent material substitution.

I agree with metengr. It is unlikely you will find any FBQ and if you do the paper trail may not be there.

Have hand forged a couple of rear flue sheets in some restorations and used 515,but thats another story.

Do your calcs. and check with your AIA.

Additionally, the 1950 ASME Code information on SA 285-C FBQ material states 55k min. tensile, 1375psi allow. stress upto 650oF, 13k upto 700oF & 11900 upto 750oF. Information from the 1951 drawings state this material shall have "shear test per ASME Code case #896 required (1948 ruling)".

Finally, I would like to especially thank metengr, deanc & stanweld for their insight and shedding light on this issue. I want you to know that this small clarification has helped me and it has, once again, helped influenced my supervisors opinion of my ASME Code abilities. I am appreciative of these replies and for Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back