Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SA material vs A material 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahar

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2003
US
What is the difference in using say SA335 VS A335. Is there differnt documentation? I always thought the material and stress values were the same. I've been told that ASME Section 1 requires SA material to be specified rather than A material

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The difference between an SA versus A designation has to do with ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel code endorsement of material. If a material is supplied to an SA material specification, this material meets the requirements of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section II, and can be used in code-fabricated items. If a material is supplied with an A designation, it meets the requirements of ASTM.

In some cases A and SA material designations can be equivalent, in other cases they may not be equivalent with material that is an A designation not even permitted for use in code fabrication. So, review ASME Section II, Part A Acceptable ASTM Editions.

I think in most cases they are identical. ASME incorporates ASTM specifications into Section II. But what is incorporated into Section II isn't always the latest version of ASTM. I don't think it's an intentional effort to have a different spec, just lack of being caught up all the time.

dahar-

Its usually far easier to just specify SA materials, but the Code does provide you some wiggle room. I'd suggest reading the section on Acceptable ASTM Editions starting on page xlvii of Section IIA. The key thing to note is the quote Materials for Code use should preferably be ordered, produced, and documented on this basis; however, material produced under an ASTM Specification may be used in lieu of the corresponding ASME Specification as listed in this Appendix...

A335 is on page l (that's Roman 50, not one). The material is identical with several exeptions.

jt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back