Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Salary increase with MEng?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bridgeengineer2007

Civil/Environmental
May 2, 2012
US
I will be finishing my Masters in Civil Engineering degree (MEng) with structural emphasis in 6 months through an evening program for professionals. Any idea about what sort of salary increase I should ask my employer for? I currently have 6 years experience doing structural design work for a mid-size private consulting firm. I understand a MS or MEng degree doesn't pay above and beyond the basic BS degree, but it has to be valued at something, right? I'm just curious to see what others have got?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you paid for the schooling yourself? In my firm they pay for it, so they tend to not give a raise for obtaining it. If they did not pay for it, maybe something could be negotiated, but I have heard it generally takes a switch to another company to get any substantial boost in salary.

My company has paid for approximately half of the degree, so I have still paid a substantial portion out of pocket. The tuition reimbursement rates standard and are are company wide.

I'm guessing you're in the UK?

The modern MEng (in the eyes of the institutes) is the rough equivalent to the old BSc; the minimum academic qualification you'll need to start the road to CEng status and company pay now reflects that. As said above, if the company paid for course then you wont be seeing a big (if any) increase unless you're being expected to take on extra responsibilities.

You're next pay jump will more than likely come when you achieve CEng or IEng status.

Roughly speaking (I think) Chartered status is the equivalent to P.E. over the pond so it should still hold true.*

*Caveat: Milage may vary.

It all depends on your boss and your personal capability.

Higher degree definitely is good, but engineering is more practical things and the majority of knowledge is acquired through practising the actual work

anchor bolt design per ACI 318-11 crane beam design

blc219, are you now more valuable to the company? As an owner, I can tell you your boss is more interested in your value to the company than he/she is in what degree you have. When you go in to talk about it, frame the discussion in those terms (your added value) and your boss should listen to what you have to say.

I got nothing for my masters and nothing for the PE. I was told they were just expected, and brought me only to where I was supposed to be.

I don't think a graduate level degree usually results in immediate pay raises. The PE/SE licenses do typically but not the degrees.

The true value of any advanced degree belongs to the person who earned it. If it results in a benefit to his employer, a pay increase will likely result but it is by no means automatic.

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back