Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Salary Negotiation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodiggity

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2005
US
Received an offer from a company of about 8% below what I'm making now along with a 5% cut in 401k matching, higher medical and dental expenses and 10 less days a year in vacation.

Is there any hope to negotiating this? I would need to increase their initial salary offer by about 39% to justify switching jobs because I'm anticipating a promotion next year.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You just need to get a lower opinion of yourself.;-)

At my first job and my current job I had done some research and worked out what I thought I needed/could get.

Both times they offered my significantly more than I asked for!

In your case, assuming staying put is a real option, I'd turn down the offer making it clear that you can't accept a pay cut/reduction in benefits in comparison with your current position, especially as it's likely that if you stay in your current position you'd get a promotion & raise in the next year.

I doubt they'd go 39%, they may match your current positiona and say something like "with a performance review & probable raise after 6 months based on results of the review". Trouble is you can't be sure they'll follow through, and to get to that point you've given up your existing position.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Last week I was offered a position with the prime contractor on a project for which the company I work for is a subcontractor. The prime offered me slightly more salary than I currently make, but their benefits are less desirable. I figured it would take about a 6% bump in salary to make the total compensation package equal. Today, I tried to negotiate with the prime's HR person but they would have none of it. I declined the offer. Other people in the same situation have been able to get the prime to match their compensation package. Perhaps I have poor negotiating skills, perhaps the others were more important hires, perhaps it depends with whom one is negotiating.

Salary and terms should be last on the list to discuss but it is not less important because of its position.
Once both parties have set out their stalls and both parties have some idea of the worth and value of the other, talking terms makes sense and an ask of 20% seems like a bargain rather than pie in the sky.

JMW

Trying to negotiate with HR is generally a waste of time and effort - they are paid to keep salaries low. You should negoriate directly with the hiring engineering manager; if he/she will not work with HR on your behalf, then its a strong indication about how sucessful you will be in getting future raises at that company.

Finding a past salary from a social security number is not legal. Any party distributing this information is liable for five years in federal lockup and large fines.

In any negotiation you have to keep in mind what is your best alternative to a negotiated solution and take your best guess what the other party’s best alternative to a negotiated solution is.

In a job case your best alternative is any other job offers out there or your current position. For the hiring company their best alternative is the second candidate.

How tight is the labour market in your industry segment? Is there a lot of competition for positions or a lot of competition for people?

The answer to these questions will give you some idea how much chance of success you will have.

PS I always leave salary blank in an application. First get them to know that they want you and that you want to work for them. Then discuss the total package pay, leave and other benefits.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back