Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Salary raise survey 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

COEngineeer

Structural
Sep 30, 2006
US
Ok, I dont want know how much you make. I just want to see the average raise per year (even if you move to different companies). Please do this calculation for me and give me your answer

CS = Current salary or hourly rate
SS= Starting salary or hourly rate (after you just graduated)
Y= Years since graduation
R = % raise per year assuming you get the same % per year

If you own a company then only put the data only when you still work for a company.

R = [(CS/SS)^(1/y)]-1

Could you post your R on this forum

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although I must say higher R doesnt mean it is better. It can also mean you received below average starting salary. But anyway, it is still fun to see what the average R is considering how often we get a new thread about expected raise on this forum.

Before I give the figures, I had a break of over a year outside of engineering back in 04/05 and for about 9 months before that was effectively part time freelance contractor. So I kind of lost about 2 years in total.

Also my first job was in the UK in an area with average cost of living, while I’m now in the US working in an area with very high cost of living. I used an exchange factor of 1.9 in converting pay in UK to dollars, not sure this is really accurate. My first jobs starting salary was competitive.

If I deduct the approximately 2 years from Y I get R = 13.6

If I include the 2 year in Y I get R = 10.2

Having compared this with what other people got:

A. I’m concerned I’ll get lynched if we all got together.;-)

B. I’m questioning any advice I’ve ever given regarding expected salary as I’m well off the curve.

R=.0588 over 10yrs. I guess it could have been worse.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

0.08635 or 8.64% on 23 years...

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Using the depressingly low salary from the sweat-shop start-up outfit I worked at for a few months immediately after graduating I get a result of 14.3%.

Using the salary from my first engineering job being paid at something resembling market rate I get a result of 8.94% over 13 years. Not too bad.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Putting aside the depression for one minute, the figures themselves are only meaningful if they refer to real earnings growth, ie above or below the increase in the cost of living, or thr RPI as it's called in the UK. I don't know if this varies significantly from country to country but from the figure over the past 20 years has been about 4% in the UK. In my case of a 6% rise in earnings then this relates to an annual 2% growth in earnings over that period, approximately. As an investment it's a poor return. Back to the depression.

corus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back