Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sanitary Lift Station for a Subdivision 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xghalibx

Civil/Environmental
Oct 24, 2003
US
Folks:

Could you please point me to a site that talks about designing a sanitary lift station for a residential developement. I have never designed a lift station and needs some guidance ASAP... thanks..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What portion of the design are you needing help with? Inflow calculations, wetwell sizing, pump hydraulics, lift station layout?

What kind of station? Submersible, Self-Priming, Wetwell/drywell?

What will your inflows be or what will your population equivalent be?

What are your wetwell influent line elevations and your discharge elevations and any high point elevations along the forcemain route? What is the distance from your lift station to the point of discharge?

Lots of things to know before you can start a design.

I haven't seen much on-line; but, several pump manufacturers have design guides to help. Give more info and we can try to help or best to contact a local firm that does this kind of work. Not good to put $100K+ into the ground only to find it doesn't work.

Your best bet and certainly to minimize your exposure to future legal problems would be to hire an experienced engineer to look after the design. It wil not only save you money, but will also give you peace of mind that the station will be best suited to your needs.

KRS Services

There is a web site called RedVector.com that will sell an online course on how to design and specify lift stations. I haven't actually used it, but have heard it is good for the basics. If it is a simple lift station, it might be worth the $250 charge for it.

First get your state's code, which will define all parameters. In PA, it is Title 25, Chapters 71 and 72.

Then you will need that state's design standards. In PA, it is "Domestic Wastewater Facilities Manual (DEP 1357)". It is free in .pdf, search under:

The PA ones are general enough to get started, but use your state's.

Now for site4 specific equipment/materials/construction: If it will ultimately become publicly owned, the Municipal Authority will want certain things...in many cases, they will pretty much hand you standard specs, tell you which pumps, auto-dialers and generators they want and might give you a set of plans to go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back