Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAP2000 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirhejazi

Structural
Aug 11, 2000
CA
Hi
How can I intruduce to this program, a combind section?
I mean for example, how can I tell the program in the analisis of a truss, I want to use 2 angles and one channle in the bottom chord and 2 angles and 2-22m rebars on the top chord?
would you please help me
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.

Are you trying to model a truss as a frame element? Are you trying to somehow weld members along their length to give a kind of a composite section?

If you are trying to do either of these things, I don't believe SAP has the capacity to do it automatically. SAP has a database of standard sections, but does not have the capacity to form these into new composite sections.

The only way I can think of to build a composite section out of the standard section database is to actually model the individual components of the section (ie each angle and bar) along their respective centerlines. This will give you a series of parallel frame elements for each composite member. You should then constrain the relevant joints together to ensure the member acts compositely.

Hope this helps.

Michael

In SAP you´ll need to calculate the sections properties of your new and combined section and include it in *txt file in the same sequence as SAP requires. I gave up to do this,

In Multiframe you just draw in Acad the combined section and import the *dxf in SectionMaker choose the material, install the new section and save the new library.It will be avaliable in Multiframe. It can´t be easier

Regards

Yes
Exactly that is what I mean. I want to make a composit section for my truss or let assume for any kinds of other structure. I remember from data entery for SAP90 we had to write all the blocks of information idividually on a dos format like PE2 and then give the program as a data entery file for analysis. so in that case we could intruduce to the program, Composit section as well by giving him, cross section info.
but now with this new technology and software, I thought it should be other way or easiest way to do that!

Any way, I am appreciate of your respond and hope you can help me in this case too.
Thanks
Amir

We deal with a large type of cold-formed sections, so we abbandoned the use of SAP2000, We step to Multiframe that allows us more freedom and speed when we deal with combined sections, we can even define an entire new coldformed sections or a mix of them.

I think the SAP2000's manual or someone at Berkeley can help you, but I think that there was a *.exe file that I saw a friend using that performs some calculations for your needs. Sorry I don't remember the right arguments for using it.

The advantage of Multiframe becomes more evident when we need to input data from our customers directly from the cad files, avoiding creating layers and splitting the entities around them

Hope you get your goal.

Something I just found in SAP2000....it has the ability to do double channels and double angles. It has this feature in both its section database and in its Add Section facility.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back