Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scale Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbvn

Petroleum
Jan 26, 2010
VN
Dear all,

I am facing with serious problem with Scale deposit in production flowline( see attached file) and not sure how to solve this problem. We all know that if scale deposit in flow line then it will effect to flow assurance or later on can block flowline.I also took water sample for analysis and the results showed that the Ca2+ and Nan+ are very high. Can some one give me some advise on below query.
1. what are solutions to address scale issue.
2. High Ca++ and Na+ are good or bad( I personally think it is bad).
3. If we inject scale inhibitor into system, how Ca++ and Na+ will be? Are they increase or decrease.

Thanks for you support and help.
TBVN

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

File is missing. You can edit the post and add the file.

Sodium does not cause scale, usually only hardness ions (calcium and magnesium) cause scale.

I second bimr thoughts, Ca++ may percipitate with carbonate. These would be hard crystallic withe/browish scales that when cutting through pipes can look like the growth rings in trees (seatch google/pictures yurself)
Best regards, Morten

You say production pipeline but you had to analyse the liquid to find out what was in it? Is this a cooling water line (in particular a cooling water return/hot return line?)

If not- provide more details on what's in the pipe.

Solutions
Chemical treatment/antiscales
Blowdown/dilution to drop concentration of scaling minerals
Pigging
Waterjetting
New pipe

As a chem eng/metallurgist the first part of any answer I give starts with "It Depends"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back