Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Scooter Chassis Tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikedesigner

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2002
IN
Hi, I'm a graduate of mechanical engineering and am developing an electric scooter after modification of an IC engined one. I was wondering if any of you could specify a suitble cross section and material of the chassis tubing that we can use to do the modifications.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you modifying the old chassis - if so what is the construction? If it is large pressings spot welded together then you will find it difficult to modify it if you cut any material away, and still end up with a reasonable structure. Perhaps you could spot weld custom made brackets to the existing shell, preferably following the flange lines.

If it is tubular then use chro-moly tube, mig welded. If you are designing the frame from scratch then I strongly recommend that you build a mig welded chromo 1/2" dia spaceframe. Cheers

Greg Locock

Scooter chassis have the structural efficiency of ornamental garden gates generally. If you wish to alter a mild steel bent tube type thing then use mild steel, the use of fancy alloys is at best a waste of time at worst potentially dangerous due to possible welding problems.
Why not throw the horrid structure away and make a new one from wood. I have not lost my marbles, Red Shift was a motorcycle made from plywood sheets formed into a box section type structure. It has the same stiffness to weight ratio as any fancy alloy, is cheap, easy to form, fabricate with cheap tools, non conducting and you can claim ecologically friendly.

Yours OMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back