Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sealant's rating is less than turbine inlet steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnCheng

Mechanical
May 26, 2023
SA
Hey there,

I'm a maintenance engineer at a utilities plant. And I need to evaluate the sealant we'll use between the casing halves of the turbine. The turbine inlet steam reaches tempretures between 300-400 celsius. However, the sealant we've always used has a flash point of 150. Would this be a sufficient enough sealant? Is the flash point not relevant? Any other considerations I should take in choosing a sealant for the tubrbine casing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The flash point should not be relevant. That is likely for the solvent that makes the sealant fluid and evaporates as the turbine is brought up to temperature. The products data sheet should have a rated temperature range. Be aware, this rating is a general guideline and can vary greatly depending on what products the sealant is exposed to.

Also, consider using Copaltite sealant, it's specifically made for this application. Warning, read the SDS and take appropriate safety measures.

We have used this sealantt for years, without any issues. But we don't currently have the same one so I'm evaluating another one in stock which has similar properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back