Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Second Interview question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate2003

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2003
US
I am being called in fpr a second interview at a company for an application engineering position. The first onsite interviews were with the HR manager, plant owner, engineering manager, applications engineering manager, and the application engineers.

I am in my second job and both of those I was hired with only one interview. It is a 600 mile trip one way, so they must be pretty interested if they want me to come back.

What can I expect for a second interview and how do I prepare myself?

"I have had my results for a long time, but I do not yet know how I am to arrive at them." Karl Friedrich Gauss

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps your bud did get the better enjoyment from his purchase and probably the vendor too.
On holiday, I let my wife do all the negotiating. We went in a shop in Turkey to look at some pottery.
A Dutch couple were in there, asked a price, were told it and paid it. The shop owner didn't that much apreciate the sale Very polite but it was just a sale and he was no more than polite, not effusive.
My wife started negotiating. She and the shop owner and staff argued in three different languages for about an hour and the shop even had mint teas brought in.
She got a real good deal. She didn't buy that much, less than the Dutch couple, but once a deal was struck, the shop threw in some extras for free.

It wasn't about price, it was about value.

If you don't put a value on your own self, then the company may not either. If you simply accept their offer they may wonder how much less they could have got you for and they may ever after value you less than you think.

JMW

jmw,

You equate negotiating with valuing youself more? Interesting.

I know what my worth is in my market. I have a price. If they ask, I give it.

The benefit side of things is pretty much the same from employer to employer.

- 3 weeks vacation up to 10 years,
- 4 weeks vacation up to 15 years,
- 5 weeks vacation after that
- sick/flex days
- medical and such is 75% (rest you pay)
- no pensions
- no IRA matching (Canada)

Some companies, especially now, may add in some stuff here and there, but these are pretty much temporary (they can be cancelled later, and usually are once the market cools).

So, the bottom line is still pretty much salary - contract, employee, term, what have you.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

My 2nd interviews have been for the senior manager to meet me and check I'm not a loony ! It could be down to the fact that an external applicant has to be signed off by a very senior manager. So they might want to check you out before signing the paperwork off.

Definetly ask first, what have you got to lose ?

Thanks everyone for your responses. I had my interview yesterday with the engineering manager and the HR manager (both had interviewed me before). I spent the 2 days before with an interview preparation book which helped a lot. There are 2 other candidates, but I should receive an offer in a week if they pick me.

What has anyone's experience been with hiring bonuses? Are they ever offered? Is it something I should ask for if they don't offer one?

"I have had my results for a long time, but I do not yet know how I am to arrive at them." Karl Friedrich Gauss

So, does anyone have any experience with hiring bonuses?

I've received a couple of hiring bonuses in the past. The offer did not seem negotiable. My feeling is that the bonus is more of a function of the job market at the time of hiring versus enticing you directly. Your mileage may vary.

OK, time for an update. Had the 2nd interview and got the offer. Offer was more than I expected, but less than what I am making now. (I have a lot of reasons to want to work for this company so that I was willing to take a pay cut). I was completely up front with the HR manager about my current salary and asked where we could meet and also told him that I wanted an extra week of vacation. He countered with an offer that is more or less the same as what I make now and gave me the extra week vacation. Yeehaw. Lots of smiles here. I naturally accepted his offer, and now we only have to decide on a start date. Thanks everyone for the help. Please see my new thread in this forum called "severance bonus".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back