Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

secondary stresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

mech212

Mechanical
Apr 20, 2017
EG
I need to know if the secondary stresses is different from residual stresses ? , also is the secondary stresses in the pressure vessel important ? AS i know that the secondary stresses comes combined with the primary stresses not alone so can we neglect the secondary stress and if not why , since the primary is the main stress with larger values ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately, the scope of your question is much more complicated than you might think, with a large number of answers being "it depends". First, I'll ask if you understand the difference between the failure modes of plastic collapse and ratcheting? Do you understand the causes of residual stresses?

Question 1: Yes. Question 2: It depends. Question 3: In a lot of cases, the design code will indicate which stresses are considered and how.

Until you do some homework yourself to answer the questions that I posed, you do not even understand your own questions, and will not be able to comprehend the answers. You have some homework to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back