Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sect. IX QW- 290.6 In-Process Repair Welding 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

glrsbmiqc

Industrial
Jul 1, 2009
US
We are currently developing temper bead procedures to be used in conjunction with the NBIC alternative methods to PWHT. Will I need to have our qualified welders to perform the proficiency demonstration when using these procedures for repairs?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nothing I could find in Section IX or NBIC, but you will want to be sure that your welders can successfully use the technique. API 1104 Appendix B offers quidance in this matter.

Yes, they should even if the code of construction or repair code do not specifically state as such. Also, the Inspector may require to demonstrate proficiency with bead placement.

For Section I, temper bead has now been approved as a weld repair method for the 2011 edition, and will soon follow with acceptance criteria for both hardness and welder proficiency qualification.

By the way, Section IX does require a proficiency demonstration for in-process weld repair, see below

(e) Welders who will use manual and semiautomatic
GTAW or PAW shall be qualified to use these welding
processes as required by QW-300. In addition, each welder
shall complete a proficiency demonstration. For this demonstration,
each welder shall deposit two or more weld
beads using WPS parameters for each deposit layer. The
test coupon size shall be sufficiently large to make the
required weld bead passes. The minimum pass length shall
be 4 in. (100 mm). The heat input used by the welder shall
be measured for each pass, and the size of each weld bead
shall be measured for each pass, and they shall be as
required by the WPS.

I'm not sure I agree that QW 290.6 applies to repairs performed to the NBIC. Although I agree that the varibles of a temper bead welding procedure will have to be monitored very closely, and that includes the welders technique.

NBIC also provides for Temper Bead welding.

Real World: A welding inspector will need to be present for the entire process, to record the variables and give an independant account of whether the approved process was followed. Leaving that up to the welder(s) is asking them to inspect their own work. Anything Code related requires a QC presence separate from the folks performing the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back