Section IX WOPQ, 2G Single Bevel on Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROKAA

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2024
US
Hi,

I have a situation where a ring is being welded to the OD of a pipe. The ring has an ID single bevel machined into it.

The weld is meant to be a single bevel groove filled and then a fillet cover weld.

We weld (machine weld) it while the pipe is 1G rotated with the weld gun at the 12 o'clock position. As it has been explained to me this groove weld is basically a 2G (rotated) weld, and then the fillet is a 2FR weld.

My question is while trying to qualify our welders for this kind of weld per ASME Section IX, can I weld up the same joint specified above and then treat it like a fillet weld test and perform 1 macro and 1 fracture test on it? I am having a hard time finding any info on a groove weld that isn't in the same plane as the pipe wall but is instead welded to the OD of the pipe.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is a 5/16" single bevel, and a 1/2" cover fillet.

Both materials are carbon steel pipe, the ring being A106B and the pipe being similar to A53B. Customers typically ask for B31.3 or B31.1.

I know if I qualify welders for semi-auto welding I just need to perform a 2G weld test and that covers all the jobs we do.

But I can't do a normal 2G weld test for our weld operators because the machine is set for 1G rotated. When this weld is done on that machine it will technically be a 2G weld for the groove, or am I thinking about that wrong?

Capture_ppa74l.jpg

Thanks for any and all input!

The WPS is set up per section IX and positions for the WPS are a nonessential variable. But when it comes time for welder qualifications position is essential for the welders and weld operators. Table QW-461.9 shows a list of tests and their positions, and then what positions the welders and operators then qualify for.

Because this groove is done in a technical 2G position, I need to have them qualified for horizontal welds.

My problem is this isn't a typical double bevel groove weld that is flush with the pipe wall. The pipe is laying in a 1G position with the groove being a 2G weld due to the pipe being rotated while welding. Below is an image showing what I mean.

Capture_q8rbtt.jpg

I would love to, but the machine can only weld 1G rotated butt welded pipe, which won't qualify the welders for this 2G weld.

I may need to see if I can go the "special positions" route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back