Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Section of I-95 collapses after fire burns under overpass... 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compaction of backfill that deep seems like it would take a very long time. I have seen road construction where the road bed is excavated instead of compacted and filled with lightweight cellular concrete. Perhaps they could pour the cellular concrete between sheet pile to minimize the amount of material required.

We have CLSM which is a low strength concrete used for fill purposes...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Ok, that is cellular concrete. It uses glass microspheres to reduce the weight of the mixture. I guess it's buoyant in unstable soils so with excavation it can be used in place of compaction.

No it’s not LCC. The article said they backfilling with straight glass.

I’ve heard of AeroAggregate in the past couple of years as a new aggregate. I guess they found their big break.

If I recall, AeroAggregrate is produced in Philly. I've tried specifying it before and it always gets substituted because of the shipping cost.

Well, it has been five days and there still is no mention of the driver(s)??? name, identity or even the number of human remains..

What company owned the truck ? ... Was gasoline being transported ? .....Was this a regular fuel delivery ?... Have there been other accidents on this ramp before ??? ..... No obvious details are being released ..

I still smell sabotage ....

A complete report scheduled for release first quarter 2024 ..

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Per CBS News:
"Who was the driver of the tanker truck?
Police asked news crews to not livestream helicopters overhead while investigators sifted through the wreckage in search of human remains, which were recovered Monday afternoon. The driver was identified as 53-year-old Nathan Moody of Merchantville. He was a father of three. 2 days ago"

About the company:

I believe the trucking company was identified, including a brief media interview. If memory serves, it was a local company that delivers gasoline and diesel to stations in the local area. I'm not going to try to find the video again, as I don't believe it's all that necessary for the discussion; I'm pretty sure it was a local media outlet on YouTube, if anyone really wants to find it.

It's pretty clear to me, that it was just a local trucker that ended up too fast for the curve as it tightened under the bridge. No grand conspiracies, just a standard truck rollover in a curve. Probably either driver error (simple loss of concentration or distraction), or equipment failure. RIP Mr Moody, I don't believe you intended to cause harm.

The live feed from the Milnor on-ramp is up. I just watched them remove one of the steel beams from the southbound side. There's a huge pile of dirt in the middle of the gap, and an excavator has been loading it into a dump truck. The truck is only gone for a few minutes, and it always looks to be the same truck, so the dump site must be pretty close. I've no idea where the pile of dirt came from.

I was expecting more activity. I hope the pace picks up soon.

They're stockpiling the foam-glass fill on the I95 roadway near the gap. That area isn't visible from the live feed. There are good shots of the material in the video.

I'm not sure how current it is, but the Google satellite view shows a construction site for what looks to be an on-ramp on the northern side of I-95 from Cottman Ave. It would make sense that they could be using that construction site for logistics.

They're going to have to build some sort of cofferdam or retaining wall, to contain the material under that part of the roadway which they're going to temporarily 'reconstruct'. It appears that there's four-lanes going in each direction and the report was that they were going to build a temporary six-lane segment. Not sure how that will be located relative to the existing lanes, that is, in the middle so that they won't need to divert traffic from one side to the other, or all on one side giving them more room to rebuild the lanes, at least a couple at a time.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

In the video R46 posted above, it says they are going to do 3NB & 3SB for the inner lanes temporarily while the reconstruct the outer lanes. Then switch once finished to complete construction of the inner lanes.

The damaged concrete abutment is drastic.

HK6S2NKS4BAJFNAJ6MDPXWCZCI_zrh6n5.jpg

jerseyshore said:
In the video R46 posted above, it says they are going to do 3NB & 3SB for the inner lanes temporarily while the reconstruct the outer lanes.

That would make the most sense as it would require the least amount of rerouting, as I speculated in my first suppositions above.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

The big pile of dirt was originally along the base of the south abutment. You can see the lower part was protected from the fire. There's a trench along the base, and they're currently digging a trench along the base of the north abutment. Looks to me like they're going to demolish and replace both of them from the top of the pilings up. It'll probably be a while before they fill the gap and pave the temporary roadway. What a mess.

Where did the photo in Sym P. le's post above come from? It doesn't look much like the north abutment in the live feed, which is mostly smooth except for several areas on the near end below the northbound lanes.
abutment_2023-06-16_sdorlv.jpg

There's been a lot of activity this morning, including the arrival of a huge conveyor boom to distribute the fill. Maybe they're going to leave the abutments after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back