Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Section XIII Nonmandatory Appendix B - N+1 devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinNZ

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2003
NZ
When there are isolation valves under burst disks. Is N+1 disks always required? Are there circumstances where N devices is allowed?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where are you getting N+1 from? Please be more specific, there is no mention of N+1 in Appendix B that I can see.

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term
'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the ASME/API used term ***

By N+1 I means one extra device over the capacity required for when there are no isolation valves. N+1 devices allows one isolation valve to be closed while maintaining full discharge capacity.

My question was, where in ASME XIII Appendix B, is the reference for N+1 written?

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term
'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the ASME/API used term ***

Hi,
Not a good habit to install isolation valve between nozzle and safety equipment. Forbidden in the companies I've been working for.
What is the point to have an isolation valve underneath a rupture disk?
Pierre

Found a copy of Yr 2021 ASME Section 13 on the net - there is nothing in non mandatory appendix B about N or N+1 relief valves and how stop valve may affect selection between N and N+1. It is entirely up to the Operating Company to choose N or N+1 and corresponding stop valve provisions to suit their needs. Refer also to the project specific relief valve sparing and isolation philosophy document for guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back