Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sectioning tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanRyanRyan

Automotive
Jan 8, 2008
US
When I use the sectioning tool in a CATProduct, the section window pops up with the geometry from where the section goes through, but I can't seem to then do anything with the section. I need to be able to project those entities onto a surface or even make them visible.

When I click ok, the window just disappears along with all the entities. Any help would be much appriciated. Thanks.

Ryan Hill
Design Engineer
bestCADsolutions, Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Create eventually a separate CATPart and use GSD workbench.You have to use an intersection with a plane.

Regards
Fernando

I think you need the DMU SPA license to be able to keep the sectioning as an application in the CatProduct, otherwise it will disappear as you say when you hit ok.

Yeah, with the DMU SPA license you get to "export" the sections created into your CATProduct and use them, but as Ferdo says, you can go into the CATPart and use a plane to intersect the piece, then you can use the geometries. Only problem is that you won't have all your product (unless you go and copy the partbodies into only one part, or create a catpart from the product...)

Thanks for the help. Still quite confusing, but that is Catia for ya I guess. You would think you could just click sectioning icon, cut through a plane, and use curves....this catia is so confusing. Anyway, thanks again.

Ryan Hill
Design Engineer
bestCADsolutions, Inc.

Ryan all DMU tools are cgr based, non exact, not to use to model with. So sectioning tools is alright for DMU purpose.

If you want exact sections use GSD intersection, you can use the multi selection icon to pick multiple bodies. You don't need to copy any bodies as long as they are in the same session, I would recommend you to turn on the datum feature when making a large section. This will be exact but note that this feature will temporarily copy the bodies of the chosen parts into the active part when making the section.

Why I'm saying this is that I have noticed performance issues when trying to make a section this way with several hundred parts. I use a search favorite that looks for all bodies named "PartBody", before I use it I rename mine and run it and then use intersection, all bodies will be selected in one set and I only have to pick the plane.

My mistake...recently one of my colleagues asked me the same thing and I tried again to do it under UNIX OS.

After I've done what solid7 said in his post ( but in r18, I just copied and paste the code (from catvba in a CATScript) which you can find it here (
So, its working also under UNIX...and the plane which is created by the script it is in a new part....so it will be easy to do the rest of the job....just select first what yo want to cut (multiselection eventually) and the second selection it will be the new plane created...

Regards
Fernando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back