Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

See the link, What kind of failure 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks like the left-most member is well-buckled before the crane ever moves. My guess is they were erecting those members, weren't putting adequate lateral supports as they went. Or maybe just underdesign in the first place.
I notice the guys sliding down the columns. I understand that used to be common in the US (in non-emergency situations) but OSHA made 'em stop doing it that way.

Myo Maung said:
What kind of failure it is?
A catastrophic one.
It appears to be a collapse due to structural instability during erection - it was not adequately braced during the erection sequence. It appears that there is no roof diaphragm bracing (or it failed) which allowed all of the roof beams to buckle sideways.

retired13 said:
The crane lost balance, then crashed into the frame.
Possibly, but it looks more to me like the falling steel brought the crane down, not the other way around.

The video starts too late. The buckling of the roof beams has already started, hence the steel erectors fleeing for their lives by sliding down the columns.

The fact the entire roof goes at the seam time implies that all the supports moved in the same direction due to lack of bracing.

But impossible to say without seeing the end view and the actual initiation event.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Looks to me like instability failure. Lateral torsional buckling of the frames.

Agree that without a full sequence you can’t say for sure. Maybe the crane did yank it to start with.

I guess these crane are trying to correct back the swayed rafter but it is too late and the damage already there. Some more, this rectification method is still not correct

The amount of exhaust coming out of the crane seems unusual. Either struggling to control the load or maybe some type of engine problem. Not sure though since it's only a brief glimpse. Hope everyone made it through unscathed.

f_rkkj7e.png

Great sketch! That seems like the likely scenario. But just playing devil's advocate, if the crane had a mechanical issue at the wrong moment, is it possible the load became uncontrollable and instigated the collapse? Not likely but maybe shouldn't be ruled out.

Absolutely. This type of failure usually has multiple "wrongs", either one triggers the other, or occurred simultaneously. The crane must have rated capacity to handle the work, but ... boom, it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back