Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeking assistance regarding MBRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootingstars78

Civil/Environmental
Feb 12, 2008
AU
Hi There
I am designing a plant with MBR. Corect me if I am wrong-my understanding is, the bioreactor does it work, the MBRs advantage is we can put it inside of an activated sludge process, and eliminating additional clarifiers. My additional questions are:
1) Say we are using MBR in a different compartment. For this process does it need any additional aeration?
2) Is only gravity good enough for the feed process?
3) What items to look for when selecting a proper membrane system?
4) How do they allow for working with a higher MLSS concentration? They are just alternatiove to clarifiers, aren't they?
5) Does any one know of any typical operational problems with MBR?

Thanks in advance for all of your time and input, and I look forward to hearing from you. cheers;-)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your best bet is to contact one of the membrane suppliers as many of the operational issues are dependent upon the type and configuartion of the membrane.

In my opinion, the best product on the market currently is the PURON product of Koch Membrane Systems, Inc.

Regards,

Sean.

1) Say we are using MBR in a different compartment. For this process does it need any additional aeration? Yes, you need an air sparger below the membranes that helps to clean the membranes
2) Is only gravity good enough for the feed process? Yes, but it depends on your site layout.
3) What items to look for when selecting a proper membrane system? Track record of the supplier.
4) How do they allow for working with a higher MLSS concentration? They are just alternatiove to clarifiers, aren't they? There is a maximum MLSS concentration where the performance deteriorates.
5) Does any one know of any typical operational problems with MBR? No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back