Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

selected the wrong plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

altnickee

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2005
NL
Hi,

I have made a part on the top plane, but now i see that the front plane would be better.

I know that there must be a way to change a part from an plane to an other, but how?

thanks

Toolmaker

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will have to change the plane on each sketch that is related to the Front, top, or Right planes.

Go to your first feature, expand the feature dialog (+) , when you see the sketch right click and select edit sketch plane. Choose a new plane. You may see errors if any other sketches were done on Front, Top, or Right planes. If that is the case you will need to change those planes as well.

How much work it will be to switch references around would depend on how you created the individual features. Click on the sketch of the first feature then RMB picking <Edit Sketch Plane>. Then pick the Front Plane. Then rebuilt control Q. Then fix any reference problems that occured. if you don't like the results just <undo>

Heckler [americanflag]
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

This post contains no political overtones or undertones for that matter and in no way represents the poster's political agenda.

If the issue is that you simply would like to have the view orientation different in the drawing, you can "update standard views" in the "view orientation" window.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The way that works best for me, and machinists', is to create it on the plane the way it will get machined...or as if you were to set the part on a table in front of you. With the origin on the mounting surface, centered on the part.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 2.0
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back