Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting right pump for the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDBR

Civil/Environmental
Feb 19, 2016
US
I would like to install a submersible pump in my storm sewer pond (used to be a detention pond) so that I can outlet water to a county ditch. I have spoken with the county engineer and have been given the okay as long as I do not exceed a discharge rate of 0.2 cfs or 90 gpm. I would like to install an industrial model pump rather than a cheap one used in residential basements. I am currently looking at a HOMA TP28 (TP28V16/2/1) submersible pump but I am afraid that the discharge rate will be to high since my total head is only 5 feet. So my question is, how can incorporate an industrial pump with my pond drainage and meet the requirements of the county.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Determine the elevation range of the pond that the pump will be installed in. Determine the discharge elevation of the pump. With that information, the pump manufacturer's representative should be able to size the pump.

Install a valve on the pump discharge so that the pump may be throttled. Develop a method to measure the flow rate. Use a timer or a flow meter.

The HOMA brochure shows how the pump should be installed.

You need to be looking at pump curves to find the right pump for your application. Since you are working in imperial units, you should stick with pumps that give performance data in imperial units, not SI. A quick Google search for HOMA TP28 resulted in a data sheet that uses l/s and meters.

Google "submersible sump pump" and go through the results till you find what you are looking for.

Why only use pumps that have data presented in imperial measurements?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

My google search found the brochure in USGPM -
I would say this pump is ideal - get the V2 version at with a total head generated of 5 feet, you have a discharge rate of 90 USGPM - Perfect.

If for some reason you end up with more friction losses or a small blockage, the head increases rapidly whilst the flow stays quite high, e.g. for 20 feet head you're still getting 60 GPM

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank you all very much for your input on the matter. I have decided to go with HOMA TP 28 pump and am currently working with one of their sales reps to get the setup needed for the job.

One thing to bear in mind is: the pump needs to be fully submerged at all times for motor cooling, therefore you might need a "sump in a sump" with level control to shut the pump off at a predetermined point - or alternately - if just one sump ,pond, or pool etc. level control is still required to safeguard the pump from overheating. You can get combined float controls for start / stop.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Artisi - That was my next questions. I will be placing the pump within the sump of a sump to ensure the pump is always submerged under water. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back