Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

selection of piping material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAK9

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2002
AU
Guys

I am looking for some guidelines on selecting piping material for process gases and chemicals ie some sort of a chemical compatability chart.Could anyone give some leads as to where I can get some information on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have WW Grainger catalog there is a large table in the reference section. Also, similar information is available in the Ryan Herco catalog, but it is more limited to plastic materials. I've also been told that the Fisher Scientific Catalog has this type of information, although I've not personally seen or used it.

A word of caution, different tables may have different recommendations.

If you find something on-line, please let me know.

BD

There some very good books and software by different organizations and companies that are excellent sources of corrosion data. I would have to advise you to use this corrosion data as a guideline only in material selection . In both the chemical and petrochemical industries subtle differences in conditions can have a tremendous effect on the type and treatment of pipe being selected.
If you are not well versed in corrosion and material fundamentals I would recommend soliciting the service of a consultant to get you started.

They have databases “Cor-Sur is one” and other books with corrosion data.

Everything you wanted to know about copper and its’ alloys. They have links to all the nickel and S/S alloys’ .

This site has some very good information

There are many others available once you define you primary areas of interests that you can purse.

Piping design in this day and time has become a much more rigorous endeavor than just a few years ago.

unclesyd,

I have a handbook of corrosion data from ASM International.
what different between "Corrosion data from ASM with The Corrosion Data Survey from NACE?

There shouldn't be much difference with the exception that the NACE book will probably be little more extensive.

ASM is a good source of for every thing you want to know about materials. The also offer a correspondence course in corrosion fundamentals.

Both are good resources as they are very thorough and warn you about some of the subtle and not so subtle things that can happen with materials when doing design work.

If you get stuck or there are any questions with your material selections please post

Good luck

I am not expert, and I am looking for some guidelines as well on selecting piping material for brine line from tank to the users. Could anyone give some leads as to where I can get some information on this?

Bill ;

Brine can run into chloride corrosion problems with the stainless steels and might force you into exotic alloys. I'd look at plastics/composites, the choice subject to expected operating pressures/temperatures.

Joe

The Cole-Parmer and DeZurick websites have a fair online material compatibility chart.

Brine will corrode CS, but that might not be a concern with thicker pipe and regular shutdowns.

Austenitic Stainless is out.

Glass lined and/or plastic lined carbon steel are options.

Plastic pipes of various kinds are options too.

Exotic alloys, maybe even including duplex might be worth considering if you have the finances.

Cheers

Rob

Is it safe to use Stainless Steel pipe Type 304 for chlorinated water service in bottle rinsing applications? How about SS 304L pipe in ozonated water service?

Olmedo - the conventional wisdom at my workplace is that if the temperature is <65degC and chlorides are <50ppm, then there's a good chance SCC will not occur.

However, if there's high residual stress [e.g. socket welds], high pressure stress, other contaminants like sulfides, then those guidelines don't hold.

304SS is not resistant to SCC - and that would be the prime risk in a chlorinated water service.

Ozanated, I can't speak about.
Cheers

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back