Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexfly

Automotive
Dec 27, 2009
US
Hi all. I'm experiencing some strange behavior here. After working for a while, usually on surface intensive things, my selection rectangle dissapears when I go to box select something. The selected items still highlight, but I have to guess where the rectangle is. Also, while this is going on, my quick pick seems to be gone.
If I give it a little rest, everything goes back to normal. Computer is a Dell T3500 Windows 7, 64 bit.

I have tried new graphics cards (quadro 4000), different drivers and nothing seems to help. The current driver I'm running may have helped a little. Dell wants to try a new motherboard, but I'm hesitant because I have a lot of custom functions that license off of the physical address. There are a lot of other reasons I don't want to yank my motherboard unless absolutely necessary.
Suffice it to say it would be a huge pain.

I thought I'd check in here as a last ditch effort. Has anyone experienced this? I'm wondering if some data is caching somewhere when this happens and once "let go" is when things go back to normal. Otherwise it may be that something is heating up somewhere. Diagnostics all check out though. My Graphics card is not running hot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like a graphics card/driver issue to me. Have you touched-base with GTAC and asked their hardware/systems support people about this?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Yes John. They had me re install NX and try different drivers which didn't help at all. Graphics card is brand new. I've tried 3 or 4 different drivers.

Thanks.

Tom, I'm not a computer expert by any means and am not sure what the graphics board would be. I'm pretty sure my card plugs right in to the motherboard. If there is a graphics board, I would try that...

Thanks.

Are you experiencing this problem on any other workstation when working with the same Part file?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

This just increases the likelihood that it's hardware/firmware problems.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Sorry, i think i misread your first post.
there you say that you have tried new graphics cards ( Quadro 4000)
I read it as that you have a ( singular) new Quadro 4000 and that this one gave the strange effects.
- The Quadro card is what i mean when i said "graphics board".

Regards,
Tomas

Ok. I think I stumbled on the root of the problem. The newest version of the driver for the SpaceExplorer USB (January 2014). It's a long story but I kind of accidentally figured it out today. Shut off the driver, everything was fine. Turn the driver on and the problems would start.

I downloaded the older version of the driver and everything is fine.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back