Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Selection Scope NX 10 Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baratheons

Aerospace
Feb 14, 2017
US
What is the difference between "Within Work Part Only" and "Within Work Part and Component" in the Selection Scope of the assembly module?
It seems to do the same thing, and I'm sure there is a difference.
Can anyone also tell me a practical application of this?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does DidierPSICAD's answer your question Baratheons? To reiterate, having 'Within Work Part and Component" enabled allows selection of subcomponent geometry within a higher-level assembly vs only being able to select geometry in that high-level assembly (assuming the assembly is made work part).

Felix K. Holloway - Designer - NX 9 & 11

When I have "Within Work Part and Component" active, how can I select the actual subcomponent within a subassembly?
Using QuickPick, I can select the faces and the Solid Body, but not the actual component itself.

So if I highlight a SolidBody belonging to a subcomponent using quickpick, and I press "Expand to Selected" (using assembly navigator), it won't actually do anything.

There are a couple ways to do this. Using quickpick, you can select the component itself, it is the one with the yellow cube next to its name.

Or you can use the pre-selection filter to be set to "components" only which will only allow you to grab components and not individual geometry pieces.

See below for images of both scenarios.

Is that what you are looking for?

Selection Filter:
component_select_zpgqqk.png

Quick Pick:
component_select2_nl7ijy.png

Felix K. Holloway - Designer - NX 9 & 11

Hi,

Thank you for the images, but I cannot get the subassembly components to display in the quickpick menu (in this image the head_o_ring, reflector, etc), only the subassembly itself (head). When I activate quickpick, it lumps the subassembly into one component and it does not separate it even with "Within Work Part and Component" active. As shown. When I have the component filter selected, it won't allow me to go to quick pick. One solution would be to set the subassembly as the work part, but in the case of a bigger assembly, how will I know what subassembly an individual component belongs to?

1_u5nzwo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back