Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seperate Cavern/Hall for Gen. and Transf.-Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippet

Electrical
Mar 12, 2010
BT
Hi all, there is always seperate cavern for Transformer and machine (generator) in under-ground Power House. Why? The reason I could think of:

i. It is typical in Power plant with bigger machine and more no. of units.

ii. Safety. ( I read in here somewhere that in-case of flooding etc, transformer is at risk of explosion if it is in same hall as generator and turbine units).

What are others?

My next question is while dimensioning Power House, in-order to calculate length of Power House, I have to also consider length of control bay of 20 m ( referred one hydropower handbook). Isn't it bit too much? What does other standard books and your experience say??

Your help/ insights will be really appreciated.

"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bill, Muthu & Keith, Thanks a heaps!

What about my second part of question? Someone can throw some light on it. :)

Main reason for separate cavern for transformer covered on one or two sides by rock is to avoid transformer fire spreading to main hall and there by damaging the generators.

There are international standards on design of underground power houses( I know there is an Indian Standard)where you will get more details.

Most hydrogenerators are built on-site (due to transportation issues) and many of them literally from scratch.

Control bay (aka erection bay / repair bay) has to be dimensioned to accomodate such assembly / disassembly works.

Muthu

Hi prc, thanks. We just received copies of IS code. So can you give me which IS code number in particular???

Edison, thanks. But in the handbook of hydroelectric engineering, they have given control bay and service/ erection bay seperately in the calculation. I assumed that by control bay they meant control room.Is it same??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back