Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set-up of Load Cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJAvery

Marine/Ocean
Nov 4, 2003
US
Hi all,

I'm in need of some assistance with load cells and measuring weight. I have a structural package that will be lifted and set down onto a foundation, and I would like to place load cells underneath it.

Just keeping it simple: a stiffened steel plate 36" in diameter (in the package) will make contact with another stiffened steel plate (the foundation). I'd like to put load cells in between. I figured 3 low-profile, pancake-style load cells that are evenly spaced and sandwiched between 1" thick doubler plates would work. The whole deal will be restrained laterally to prevent sliding.

The anticipated maximum load will be about 30,000 pounds. I figured 3x 15,000 lb capacity load cells would be sufficient.

My question is how do load cells work, and what other equipment do I need? I've done some online research and have found several suppliers of components (one seems good: However, I'm kind of at a loss as to what components I need to order:

- Load Cells (the obvious bits)
- Power Supply?
- Digital read-out (one or more?)
- Cables & Connectors
- Some sort of junction box?
- Signal conditioners?
- Amplifiers?

I've yet to find a reference showing a list of ALL required items or even a schematic showing all components and their connections.

Just to be clear: I need a weighing system much like a super-industrial-sized bathroom scale. I need the ability to look at a read-out and be able to record a value of weight. I.e. someone will stand at the read out and write down what's on the display after the package has been set down.

Thanks!

Best regards,
TJ Avery

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am sure that there are a few scale manufacturers out there for truck/railroad purposes who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Jeff

Jeffrey T. Donville, PE
TTL Associates, Inc.

The views or opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of my employer.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I've searched around and have found some nice floor scales that might work. There are low-profile high capacity (~40,000 lb.) scales used to measure individual truck tires. These seem pretty robust and come ready to use in one package.

Best regards,
TJ Avery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back