Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting conditions to zero displacement BC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scythevex

Civil/Environmental
Nov 24, 2007
AU
Hi everyone,

I am modelling a segmental block pavement assembly seated on a granular subgrade. The maximum allowable vertical load acting on the pavement is a function of the lateral restraining force provided around the edges of the assembly. If the mobilised restraining force is inadequate, any increase in vertical load beyond whats allowed will cause the blocks to start displacing laterally.

In my model, i precribed zero lateral displacement BC for the blocks located immediately at the assembly edges. Blocks are modelled as rigid body and thus BC is applied to the ref point. What i'd like to model is that the zero displaement BC is active up to the point where the lateral reaction force estimated at the ref point exceeds what I allow, and thus deactivates the BC. Is there any way to do this?

Any advice is kindly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think I found the answer to my own question: specify non-linear elastic spring response for a connector element applied to each ref point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back