Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a vibration envelope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benshep

Mechanical
Mar 29, 2011
CA
Hi,

I have been given a vibration envelope that I have to test a product based on. I am using a Vibration sofware that I enter a profile for the vibration using Hz and G^2/Hz as the x and y axis. I cannot figure out how to set up the profile as it is given in varying units and I am new to vibration testing. The envelope is as follows

Magnitude Frequency range (hz)

0.030" pk-pk 10 to 37
3.5"/sec pk 37 to 350
20g pk 350 to 3000

I thought this was a sine vibration initially but our customer said it was random. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What?? I have never seen this before. May be others on this board can help, but when I see Pk to Pk that is sine wave language. Maybe just ask the customer to give you a break point table in G^2/Hz per Hz instead so that you don't have to fumble around converting it. If the customer is a vibration person, it should be easier them to do it since it is their profile.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”

I think you may be right, I have done sine profiles before and these units resemble the ones I saw there. Our customer may also have slipped in there knowledge of vibration and assumed it was random.

This looks perfect for a sinusoidal vibration... usually since the vibration shaker cannot handle all ranges of disp, vel, & acccln, the specs looks quite normal. May be you should consult a vibration test lab with the specs and they might help u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back