Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up an AutoCad template

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovethecold

Civil/Environmental
Sep 15, 2003
US
I am looking for a book on setting up templates in Autocad. We use Autocad 2002 LT. Old, yes, but it is only used to open the occasional file. I would like to use it to prep site drawings with boring locations for those times a site map is not provided. I think it would be faster than drawing one by hand.

I have a book that does a good job on going explaining how to use Autocad to desing a building and the site plan. What I would like to do is set up a template with the corporate logo, a place for project information, etc. that would be set up to load an empty template and go.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have used AutoCad then you should be familiar with model/paper space but may have never worked with XRef's.

1) Setup your title block and sheet border in a drawing file in model space at 1:1 ratio. On it can go your logo, date, project title, address, etc. This should be information that will not change from drawing to drawing. It will not have any design drawings on it. When you open individual drawings you will enter specific sheet names, drawing numbers and the like. On those new sheets will be your design.

2) Open a new file in model space and import your survey data and start your design.

3) In the new file go to paper space and XRef in the title sheet you created in step 1. Open a viewport and scale it to whatever scale you need to use (ie. 10, 20, 40, 100). Enter the drawing number, sheet name, etc.

3a) If you don't know how to do XRef's then you can copy the sheet border in step 1 and paste it as a block in your new drawing on paper space.

Once you have this new sheet established just copy it each time you want to add a new sheet. Delete or unload the survey or desing file and insert new drawings in your model space area.

Notes, dimensions and other data can go on paper space on each drawing as needed so the text is uniform. Try to avoid putting text in model space if possible because when you change viewport scales you will need to increse/decrease text size to keep it uniform.

Thanks. It has been awhile since using autocad. When I get the time I will brush up on it and will be sure to learn to use XRef's.

If you are creating even a moderate number of drawings, look into the Sheet Set functionality as it relates to template drawings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back