Sewage Treatment Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abiodun1

Chemical
Jul 20, 2006
NG
Hi All,

i want to design a sewage treatment plant. The waste is non-toxic water.
The following information was given:
Volume: 180 m3/day
Diatance between the outlet and discharge point is 500m.

please, i need information on how to achieve this task.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggest you contact a firm of consulting engineers experienced in the design of sewage treatment and get a quote to design your plant.

There are standard design equations for sewage treatment.

You need this information:
-Strength of waste to be treated (BOD,TSS,TKN,pH, etc.)
-Effluent quality you need to achieve (BOD,TSS,NH3,NO3,P)

Then the simplest thing to do is contact a firm that sells aeration equipment and biological processes and they will be able to help you size your necessary tanks and equipment. There are a lot of designs to choose from depending on your plant effluent requirements, capital, space, etc.

This will give you a good idea of the size of plant and equipment costs very quickly. You can then go out and hire a consulting firm to prepare all the construction documents and drawings using equipment selected.

Check out to see process equipment used in sewage treatment.

Good Luck

FiltrationEngineer,

Thanks for your responce. Actually, what i need to design is a WASTEWATER TREATMENT SYSTEM FOR A HOSPITAL.

I believe there should be engineering processes that i can use to prepare my design, because am a process design engineer.

I will appreciate any information to achieve this from the Forum.

Regards

Abiodun1,
If you have no experience doing this type of design, do not expect to open a book or find a magazine article that will lay out the details of designing a sewage treatment plant for you. Such things just aren't found. Like an complex processing, there are a multitude of approaches that can be taken, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. I can assure you that any fees you pay a consultant or engineering firm to assist you in finding the correct approach will be (much) more than offset with cost savings realized over an ill-informed choice. The latter course also has a distinct risk of not performing as expected, which may have some personal consequences. Do this the best and cheapest way - consult with an expert.
Doug

Abiodun:

I'm assuming by "sewage" you mean stuff coming out of the drains and toilets of your facility. If it does not include this water and you need treatment, it would be something similar to industrial pretreatment, which is a different thing entirely. But assuming you mean sewage, here is my advice.

I'm a process design engineer too. It has taken me about 2 years to get aquainted with all the different biological waste treatment processes and treatment options. You would benifit from talking with someone who can explain different options and costs involved.

If you want to know about kinetics of biological waste treatment, you can get a textbook and look at the equations, but you still need to purchase equipment for your system and get permits for building it, so why not rely on people that specialize in this field to do this for you. There is a long process of getting DEP permits, and you have to have a licensed operator for plant operation.

I'm sure you can design a good system, but I'll bet someone that works in the industry and understands process can do it better. Activated sludge isn't as simple as you may think. It involves a good understanding of microbiology, simple chemistry, hydraulics, and process equipment.

If you want a good resource on texts for design, I'll add a couple links for some books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back