Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shading select parts/sub assy in draft view

Status
Not open for further replies.

KENAT

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2006
US
Here's one,

We are creating graphics (a lot of iso type views) for a manual. They want certain parts/sub assemblies in certain views shaded.

Is there a good way to do this. I just saw an intern doing a fill on every enclosed area of one of the assemblies which seems ridiculously laborious.

Is there a way to do it with shaded views but only shading certain parts? I had a play and couldn't work it out.

Thanks,

Ken

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tried setting some parts as reference, thinking that it would solve your problem but it only changes the line type of the parts, so that's too bad :( Unfortunately You may have to send an enhancement request because I don't see other ways to accomplish what you want to do.

Sorry!

Patrick

rogerreid, simplistically yes but in draft views, not the model.

Thanks Pat, may be the way to go.

I was trying to do it based on similar logic to how you can change the line type etc for certain parts etc.

As you don't say whether you want the views to be drawings you could just create images from the screen.
In your assembly set the part face style for the non-coloured parts to White Transparent, and the other parts to whatever colour you want.
Save the image as a jpeg.
Change the colours for the next image as reqired.
I've just created a powerpoint presentation from someones images that showed different stages of a build.
This was done by saving all the images from the same view set-up and just turning parts on/off and changing colours.
Setting the images to the same position and size on the powerpoint slides you can achieve a fade-in/out effect.

bc.

Thanks beachcomber, I did start thinking along those lines but I think we use some of the annotation features in draft. Others here have used that technique to create images for assembly instructions.

They are 2D, black & white/greyscale in the manual.

That said some of these may be available now in the model with MBD so it might be worth a look.

Kenat,

how about making the parts that you do not want shaded,
Making them "clear/Glass" in color,
You can define a more transparent color than what is
provided.

HTH
Frank

I just talked to the guys doing the work and while they're going to see if creating images from the model will work for some of the illustrations, for some it will need to be done in Draft.

The tech illustrators like getting the images in dxf format as it allows them to edit it better. However sometimes they use photographs so somtimes a model image may work but sometimes it needs to be a draft view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back