Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shaft enclosure for HVAC Ducts penetrating floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp99

Civil/Environmental
Oct 1, 2003
US
I have an HVAC duct penetrating a concrete floor from a H occupancy below to a B occupancy above. A fire and smoke damper has been installed at the floor penetration. I was wondering if a shaft enclosure is also required by the code? If so, what section of the code requires this and what are ways of meeting the code?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know our state and local codes allow (in general) to penetrate one floor (and serve 2) with a fire damper at the floor line. Shafts are required when going through more than one floor. I'd check your local code though.

bp99

If you are using a code based on the ICC system, you need to determine if the building is constructed using separated contruction or non-separated.
Separated construction uses fire rated separations to define different areas in the building that use construction based on the individual space occupancies.
Un-separated construction uses the most restricitive occupancy (construction) through out the building.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back