Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shape memory polymers

Status
Not open for further replies.

opticsman

Industrial
Jun 4, 2002
GB
Can anyone point to a good article on shape memory polymers? I am more interested in the pratical applications and limitations. How it is applied etc. I understand it is not normally possible to injection mould it . Can the shape of the two states in a thermal type be any desired shape ? Thanks. Opticsman.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

opticsman,

I am not exactlly sure what you are after here.
When refering to Thermoplastic Elastomers the value that you should consider is "Compression Set".

If it is a reshapable polymer that you are looking for?
Then you need to go to and do a search on a material called "Proprinate".

Thanks. I am looking produce an actuator which swtiches between one shape and the memory shape at a certain temperature. ( must be a polymer). At this stage I am just trying to find out about the techniclabsics and perhaps examples of simialr , real applications.Opticsman

A shape memory polymer is a polymer that after moulded can be deformed. The deformation is permanent until heat is applied and then it returns to it's pre-formed shape.

Auto-motive companies were looking at this 10 years ago for body panels .. guess they wanted to loose the technology because I never came across it again.

It should be possible howver to choose a material and work within its Tg range and yield range to design a part which can have a memory,

It may also be possible to use other influences such as gas to retore a parts shape.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back