Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shape Studio and Xform

Status
Not open for further replies.

almakuch

Automotive
Oct 31, 2009
US
This Question regards NX7.5 functionality compared to NX5. I currently do Class "A" modeling using Shape Studio tools. In NX5 I was able to take two unparameterized sheets, create a "live" theoretical intersection using intersect, then trim both sheets to the live curve. This is still the same in NX7.5. The following is not working. Previously I would use Xform, NON-associative edit free form to Xform the sheets to a desired shape and the live intersect curve would update with the trim as well. For talking purposes, lets say there were two walls of a cube and an edge, that had a live intersect creating the trim on both sheets. In NX7.5, entering Xform (non assoc. edit) to pull hulls, and poles, I immediately get the message "do you want to remove parameters?" yes/no- which should not happen as it didn't in NX5. If you chose yes, you get the message "cannot remove feature parameter as it will require full model update...." The only work around I found was to put a live Xform on the unparameterized sheet right after in the feature nav, which is not value added. John Baker- do I have a setting not selected?.....Please Help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect that this is a bug in NX 7.5 as it works just fine in NX 6.0 and NX 7.0. I'll check with the developers and get back to you if and when I learn anything.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanx John....this would be a great help, in it that in its current state, adds MORE features to my Class "A" models, which I already have enough, being the parametric hog that I am. Let's hope that a Maintainance Pack will be distributed soon, GM is going to NX7.5 in 5/11

My NX 7.5 testing was done using the latest MR which I just happened to get the final copy of yesterday morning, so there's no fix in it. However, there will be at least one more MR later in the year so I'm hoping that the Priority One PR I wrote late last night covering this will be addressed by then. Like I said, when I hear anything I'll post something.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

OK, I got some feedback from the developers.

Yes, this is a bug in NX 7.5 and they will be issuing a 'patch', or MP, for NX 7.5.2. There will also be at least one more set of changes going into the NX 7.5.3 MR which will include this fix as well.

Note that I was told that you've also opened a PR through GTAC. If this is the case, you will be getting an automatic notice as to when the NX 7.5.2 MP is ready, or you can simply wait until the NX 7.5.3 MR is released, which should be in about 5 weeks.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back