Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear Strength of Vinylester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laminator

Materials
Jun 7, 2006
MY
I wonder if anyone know the shear strength value for Vinylester? or is there a way to calculate it? Please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shear strength of the bulk resin is quoted by resin manufacturers or calculate form G=E/2(1+v). Doesn't have a lot of practical use though. If after shear strength of a fibreglass laminated joint a figure of 7 MPa (100psi) glue bond area layup strength is used in many codes etc for CSM, with a safety factor of 4 (min) on top of this. Refer BS4994 or RTP-1 or FRP pipe codes. BS4994 has table for different FRP ply materials, or refer texts.

G = shear stiffness; it has nothing to do with shear strength. Strength in general cannot be calculated. See material vendor datasheets for typical properties. Typical shear strength of epoxy materials is in the 8-15 ksi range at room temp; vinylester probably has similar values.

It depends on many factors, but I think a cloth reinforced panel with Vf = 50% and low voids should be in the 7-8 ksi range. I seen up to 12 ksi with epoxy/glass uni-broadgoods and generally vinylester has similar properties to an epoxy at room temp.

You want fibers in this resin, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back