Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sheet metal bends from an internal cut-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

huey1d

Mechanical
Jan 4, 2005
US
I am trying to create a sheet metal model of a part with flanges formed from a rectangular cut-out in the center of the part. The corners of the flanges are 45 degrees.

If I use an edge flange, I can only do opposite sides of the rectangle. When the other flanges are added, SolidWorks can't unfold it, because the corners interfere.

When I try adding sketched bends, SW says it csn't figure out the geometry.

I've tried adding them as extrusions, but SW won't convert them to bends.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be using the Mitre Flange feature.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Cor,
The miter flange only works around bent corners, like a box made from a strip of material. The miter flange will start at one end of the strip and miter the corners in the areas where the corner of the box is.

It sounds like huey1d has a flat part with a square cutout in it. The miter flange in this situation will create flanges but it will not automatically 45 the corners. The edge flange and editing the sketch is the way to go.

Shaggy18VW ... I'm using SW2004 & it works OK for me! I do have to chamfer the corners, but the basic function is fine.

I guess it comes down to personal preference. Using the Edge Flange involves 4 features (one flange for each side). Using the Mitre Flange involves 2 (flange plus chamfer).

internalmitreflangeformed4xu.jpg

internalmitreflangeflat7gm.jpg

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

I tried the miter flange. Got a message "The sketch is not suitable for the miter flange. Am trying the Edge flange. Will let you know if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back