Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sheet templates act like Master Drawing templates

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwingfan01

Automotive
Jan 6, 2009
US
So I have master drawing templates that work awesomely thanks to everyone's help here a year or so ago. Unfortunately my supervisors want the 'print' or 'drawing' contained within the same part file for detail prints not as a separate drawing file. For the full assemblies they are OK with the separate drawing file.

Here is my problem, I've edited my 'ugs_sheet_templates' file so that my sheets show up but, they don't hold the Master Model attributes like the Drawing files do. Can I make them use the attributes as I did with my drawing templates or am I SOL?

I'm still on NX6 by the way and really appreciate any help/hints you can give

Thank you

Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should really explain to your supervisors that while there may be more than one way to do many things in NX, that often it's still best to stick to what's recommend since that's where your company will realize the most return on their investment since you will not have to spend as much time looking for workarounds. If your supervisors are any kind of 'businessmen' or if their compensation is tied to financial performance, they should immediately see the wisdom in that recommendation ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

truer words haven't been spoken, however my supervisor brought with him the, 'that's the way we did it at XYZ company on QRS software and I don't want to look around for the print like I have too this way'

until I can change that attitude (and not lose my job in the process) I have to do as asked. If it isn't possible, that is fine since we will just burn up hours manually linking the text to the attributes and eventually prove it isn't the best method.

thank you again

Sounds like your organization is an ideal candidate for TeamCenter. That way, when the boss goes looking for something it can be right their on HIS desktop and when he opens it everything that he could possible want that deals with that part will be at his fingertips. No looking around, no having to remember what we called it or where we last saved it.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back