Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell & Tube Vibration problems: Online information 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrino7

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2003
ES
I am trying to perform some vibration analysis to a shell & tube heat exchanger, using HTRI. But I see that I need to improve my knowledge about the vibration concepts that apply to this type of equipment, and troubleshooting.
Any website or document that I can check (no mater language), in order to learn about this issue.
Thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear friend,

Have you made any progress? The TEMA gives a lot of explanation and the factors that cause vibration in heat exchangers in section 6. My greatest problem with vibration is acoustic vibration. According to a reputable client this acoustic vibration can be solved using desresonating baffle. IM yet to come across any referral material forthis desresonating baffle.

The other types of vibration problems can be overcome by reducing the buckiling length. This can be done by reducing the baffle pitch or increasing the number of support plates. You can also use impingment plate at the inlet nozzle at the shellside to reduce flow induced vibration.

if you more information regarding this acoustic vibration please let me know.

regards,

M.J.Viajayan

An AOL/Google search of "heat exchanger vibrations" and "flow-induced vibration" did not uncover anything useful on the fundamentals of shell and tube heat exchanger vibration other than references to several books on FIV. A good starting point to learn the basics of tubing array and tube in shell flow-induced vibrations is:
Au-Yang,M.K., 2001, "Flow-Induced Vibration of Power and Process Plant Components - A Practical Workbook", ASME Press, ISBN 1-86058-319-9. Chapters 7, 8 and 9 cover Fluid-Elastic Instability of Tube Bundles, Turbulence-Induced Vibration in Parallel Flow and Turbulence-Induced Vibration in Cross-Flow, respectively.
Other recent books on FIV by renowned practitioners are
Blevins,R.D., 1990, "Flow-Induced Vibration", 2nd Ed., Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York and Paidoussis,M.P., 1998, "Fluid-Structure Interaction: Vol.1, Academic Press, New York.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back