Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell + Solid in 3D Assembing

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoflight

Aerospace
Feb 19, 2007
Hello ALl,

I am new to Abaqus and working on composites. I have a simple model where a solid model is 'glued' onto a composite lamina.

I successfully assembled both the instances and merged (geometry only) and meshed it appropiately. But it says parts are not meshed.

Earlier I could apply traction on to the solid face and only the solid was responding under the load. nothing happened to the shell. (i didnt merge those instances together !!!)

this time i get the error I mentioned earlier. How can i merge those instances and treat it as a single structure without losing the shell and solid individuality. Thanks for the help in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have at least 2 options: (I recommend #2)

#1. Create the solid part (including with solid section assigned and of course a mesh!!) and the shell part (with composite shell section assigned, and a mesh...) separately and then instance them in the assembly. You can then use a tie constraint between the two parts...

#2. Create the solid part and while in the property module create a "skin" on the appropriate face of the solid. To this skin you can assign a composite shell section, while to the solid portion you can apply a solid section. ABAQUS will mesh the skin with compatible shell elements (or membranes, or surface elements if that is what you desire).

Please look at the docs for more on these techniques. #2 is really easy, but you should at least try the docs to familairize yourself with how to create a skin, and assign a section to it.

A third more sophsiticated approach might be to use cohesive elements to glue the shell part and the solid part. Search for help here and in the docs on this. To use it effectively you'll need to know a lot about the material properties of the glue...

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I would try tjhe first one first. The second one is a a long shot. I will have to model say for eg. a solid cylinder with a shell closing. In that case i might not be able to use the skin property as it needs a surface in the first place.

I Will post back with my experience.. THanks again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back