Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shielding effect of one column on another for in plane wind calcul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHARLESCOSTA

Structural
Aug 26, 2007
IN
There are 3 columns in a plane braced frame spaced at 6 m. In order to calculate the total wind force on frame when wind is in the plane of frame,I get the force coefficient for single column(I section) as 2 . This multiplied by depth of column(500)*height(16m)give me the total force on a single column.For total force on frame do I multiply this value by 3 or will there be some shielding effect of upstream columns on second and third columns

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AS/NZS1170.2 (Australian/New Zealand) stipulates that there is no shielding if the (member spacing/projected width) ratio is greater than 8.
For ratios up to 4 there is a shielding factor of 0.2, interpolate between.

Dinosaur also raises a valid point.

Thanks apsix for giving requirements of AScode.This information was not available with my code(IS)to the best of my knowledge.Its because of the same reasoning as
given by Dinosaur that I have never considered shielding in such cases.Confirmation from both of you have definitely
given me confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back