Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shifting from commissioning to design field (EHV transmission) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvc

Electrical
Mar 5, 2011
SA
Dear friends,
During my nine years in electrical engineering field, I have worked in various roles like Maintenance Engineer, Project site Engineer and at present Testing and commissioning Engineer for Extra High voltage Transmission substations. At present, I have a family and my job role requires me to be near the site. Thus we live in remote sites were child schooling and medical facilities are less. I want to shift my career so that my job role allows me to stay in a city. at present, I am 31. Kindly suggest how to change my career to a city based job profile. I am attracted to design engineering field. But when I apply for such jobs, the companies refuse, since I don't have design experience. Having worked at the field side of the job, I believe I can appreciate the importance of the various design activities. But unfortunately, I am not being considered.
Please advise how to go about this.

Also I may not be aware of some other city based job functions. If so please let me know that.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many consultant engineering companies are keen to recruit staff with experience on operational sites or from construction or EPC companies, provided they have a reasonable educational background. Unfortunately consulting is one of the first sectors to get hit in a recession, but a global shortage of experienced power engineers would offset that to some degree.

Thanks Scotty, I am sure with about one month at a design desk, I will pick up the overall job requirements. Well I will keep trying. Is there any certification course that can be done to prove to recruiting firms that you can do the job ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back