Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shock response spectrum analysis in NX.Nastran

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavva78

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2008
IT
thread825-258197
Hello,
I'm performing a SRS analysis with FEMAP 11.1 and NXN 9.0. I'm following the FEMAP tutorial no.19 doing a modal analysis applying a SRS (acceleration vs. frequency)on a node with a large mass and a SUPORT entry in the excited DOF.
My question is: is it mandatory to use a large mass? What is the relation between the large mass value (tutorial just says 1e+3 to 1e+6 times model mass) and the SRS function? I see that if I delete the mass my results change with a factor about 3.5, but if I change mass value to 1000, 2000 or 10000 results are exactly the same. Is the result independent from mass, and still in standard units (that is m/s/s for accelerations, Pa for stresses, etc.)?

Thanks
Marco

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Marco,
Do not confuse Response Spectrum Analysis Application with Modal Frequency Response Analysis (SOL111), is a different type of FE analysis at all. If you need to perform a Response Spectrum Application using FEMAP & NX NASTRAN take a look to this tutorial:

4story_femodel.png
4story_response_spectrum_excitation.png

Bes tegards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48011 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Dear Blas,
thanks for the answer. I already read your tutorial, and I just have to perform a shock response spectrum analysis on an electronics box. I have my SRS input curve (acc vs frequency) from customer, to be applied to a base node connected to the box constraint points. My question is just on the analysis setup: you (and also NXN manual) say the large mass method must be used with a mass 1e+3 to 1e+6 times the model mass, but in any case the acc. vs freq. curve remains unchanged independently from the mass used? This is my doubt in a few words... I tried removing the mass and results changed, but if I change the mass results are always the same.

Thanks and regards
Marco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back