Shop Pump Test configration question -- Vibration Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

billbusy

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2011
US
I am working with a local water pump company
I would like to implement the vibration test for our pumps.
As our pumps are multistage centrifugal pumps with different length and support stands(based on stages), currently the pumps are performance tested when they are only fasten to the motor adapter(the other end of the pump are not fastened to ground but supported by something like a floor jack with rollers).

I check HI 9.4.6 and API 610 and it seems there is no specification for the shop vibriation test installation requirements.

I would like to ask if anyone is familar with the shop test:
1. what is the general pump fasten requirements/recommendations for the vibration test?
2. what is typical arrangement/methods the shop uses to hold different size pumps in the same test loop?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What style of pump are you referring to? I am guessing that you are referring to vertical turbine pumps tested in a open pit. I don't understand how the other end of the pump could be fastened to anything. Please provide more details about the pumps. A drawing would be helpful.

Johnny Pellin

1_wczlir.jpg

2_mwuanx.jpg

Please see the pics.

they are multistage horizontal centifigual pumps with different diamter and length.

Currently, the pump is fasten to the motor by an adapter (motor is permanant installed on ground)
but the discharge end of the pump are only supported by floor jacks with rollers.

I want to develop a jig to hold the pumps firmly for the vibration test. Any suggestions or requirements for vibration test?

Plus, as the pumps are directly drived by the motor, can I measure the motor bearing vibration instead of the pump casing?

Your picture links do not work for me. You are describing a multi-stage overhung pump of the type we use in our reverse osmosis systems. I have never asked for a shop test on a pump like this. The ones we buy are 9 to 12 stages (I think). In my experience, the vibration on a pump of this type can change considerably if it is not well supported. For the very long pumps, we normally have at least one vertical support on the pump. It is also important that the suction pipe is well supported and there is not excessive pipe strain. If I was going to shop test a pump like this, I would ask for the same support as it would have installed in my system.

Johnny Pellin

Pics are OK for me.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back