Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Short Body Check Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven17

Mechanical
May 21, 2010
CA
I need a 42 inch swing check valve for raw sewage service. Due to piping limitations, I am looking for a short body (such as wafer style) swing check valve for sewage pumping application. Full size check valve won't fit. Any suggestions (make and model)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your suggestion, but the problem with the double disc type is the center shaft/pin which is in the way of sewage flow that carries a lot of solids (rags and debris). The double disc is good for water, but not for wastewater. I am hoping that someone with proven past experience would come up with a specific manufacturer and model number.

Thank you, bimr, for the information. I will be contacting those companies and see how they can help. The RitePro makes 42" valve, while Tyco and Cla-Val do not have 42", according to their websites.

I am wondering if anyone has successfully used these wafer swing check valves in raw sewage pumping stations.

Yes, Red Valve is another option. But its body is quite large compared to the wafer body swing check valve. I will consider Red Valve as a last resort. Thanks.

You may have to look at different alternatives than the short body check valve. You are asking for trouble with that approach. Bite the bullet and do the right design thing otherwise you will make these various modifications for the short body check valve IN THE HOPE THAT IT WILL WORK. That will weigh on your mind for a long time and when it does not work....all of the rationale that you used to justify installing it will not make sense

I am still looking for past user references based on the short body wafer style swing check valve in sewage applications. I am reasonably positive that this type of valve was used successfully in raw sewage handling pump stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back