Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

short BP 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Close, the new government estimate is 20,000-40,000 bbls/day. I'm with higher estimate.

If you go back to the beginning everybody was parroting the line that flow rate was the least of the worries as this number wouldn't help cap the well. The well still isn't capped and the flow rate has become very important all of sudden as there isn't enough equipment to handle the amount of oil that's out there.

They have just found oil in Pensacola Bay and running around all over the place. I don't think anyone is as old as me and can remember that anytime you went through Pns Bay you got oil all over your boat from all the coastal freighters learning cleaning their bilges and correcting the ballast in the bay. The biggest offender at the time was the training carrier USS Antietam that would dump bunker C by the ton on the outgoing tide. The only thing was that they couldn't tell time and most of it ended up in the bay. We kept a gallon of Amoco White Gas on the trailer so we could clean the boat as we pulled it.

Yes, that 40 kbopd would be enough money for one well. They could supposedly drill quite a few wells from one primary location.

"We have a leadership style that is too directive and doesn't listen sufficiently well. The top of the organisation doesn't listen sufficiently to what the bottom is saying." Tony Hayward CEO BP
"Being GREEN isn't easy." Kermit[frog]

Apparaently the heads of a number of other oil giants have castigated bp for its drilling practices.
And now a junior partner in the failed well has this:
"The mounting evidence clearly demonstrates that this tragedy was preventable and the direct result of BP's reckless decisions and actions. Frankly, we are shocked by the publicly available information that has been disclosed in recent investigations and during this week's testimony that, among other things, indicates BP operated unsafely and failed to monitor and react to several critical warning signs during the drilling of the Macondo well. BP's behavior and actions likely represent gross negligence or willful misconduct and thus affect the obligations of the parties under the operating agreement" ...

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

BigInch... your initial post on costs/quantity was a month ago to date...

some crystal ball...

Solution?
There will never be a solution.
There can never be one.
Oil and water can never be more than a mixture.

n54x9z.gif

Keith Cress
kcress -

Add a third component mutually miscible and then you can have a solution and which oil some are miscible.

Just when you thought it could't get worse.
Caps off. I think they went past my est flowrate now.
And... tropical storms on the rise.

"We have a leadership style that is too directive and doesn't listen sufficiently well. The top of the organisation doesn't listen sufficiently to what the bottom is saying." Tony Hayward CEO BP

Agree to Big Inch,
They'll be much above the 80~85000 BPD estimate now.(with no cap or extracting out in-place.

Now we might be heading presumably towards a global level disaster.

since global under currents, may potentially carry polluting oil to almost whole of the oceans-system almost unchecked

Unless& until this well gets intercepted below oozing out area very soon

to successfully cap and seal this at a lower point.

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

Starts in the Carribbean, moves into the southern Gulf, navigates its way between Florida and Cuba then continues up the USA east coast moving farther out, passes east of Iceland before arriving to Ireland and England.

I know little about the drilling industry; is there a remote possibility that this leak may never be stopped?

Dik

regarding the initial post - short BP- it looks like rumors of a buyout are inflating the stock price.

how do you get 22,000 psi bottomhole? On the epa website there is a set of data taken before the mishap. The data shows the shut in pressure below the BOP as 4400 psi. If they had some heavy mud at say 2.0 gravity, that would add just over 9000 psi to the 4400 psi. or under 15000 psi bottomhole pressure. There is a well casing diagram and you can model the flow with. 15000 psi to 2500 psi up through a 9" line. Whip up a feed with 40% nat gas (nat gas with a 75% C1 and componets to C8).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back