Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

short BP 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on 11 Jun 10 10:29, I suggested in another thread that this leak may surpass the Itoc blowout. The suggestion was not well accepted. (But, to be fair, the negative voices have since turned positive.)
This week the Globe and Mail reported that the leak may have surpassed the Itoc blowout in terms of the amount oil released.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

A Tiny voice,wild idea was sent by the u/signed few weeks back as my ex-colleague residing in USA asked about "any idea whatsoever" to solve the leakage/spillage issue(s).

I try to put below here for you; experts critique's sake

My "Wild thought " idea is injecting Crygenic condition Carbon dioxide Dry Ice under very high pressure deep down through some log tube to protude below the BOP few thousand feet and then release this to frezz the system there.
How to go about this will require some brain storming but there is no risk(s) of any fires or other issues I understand and success possibilities are there.and may be achievable

Unquote

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

... and from the BBC, "The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico has so far cost BP a total of $3.12bn (£2bn), the company has said.

The total includes the cost of containing the spill and cleaning up the oil, and the cost of drilling relief wells."

I understand that plumes have been spotted/identified, but no reference from BP. I also don't know about how long it takes for current disbursed oil to travel a mile to the surface... is it a matter of days or months?

Dik

Some oils have a density almost near water, those would be never. I think this is lighter, so theoretically it would reach the surface someday, "in a still tank". Currents could displace the eventual surfacing point considerably for slow risers. See "Stokes' settling velocity theory" for the basics.

"We have a leadership style that is too directive and doesn't listen sufficiently well. The top of the organisation doesn't listen sufficiently to what the bottom is saying." Tony Hayward CEO BP
"Being GREEN isn't easy." Kermit[frog]

Dear BigInch,As always I admire your conceptual clarity and great knowledge,professional expertise wealth.

I will add my little bit;
(1)as observed 'LPG' forms fairly stable hydrates in certain atmospheric conditions with humidity(I witnessed these on a few occasions)

Now in such huge depths under sea water's immense pressures complex behavior might be exhibited by the crude-gas admixture stream(s)
Their oozing out jet(s) might be inducing sea water to create special "unknown nature" yet fairly stable hydrated plume(s) with gravity value(s)slightly higher or almost equivalent to the surrounding sea water.

This is what my "wild" envisaging tells me as the basis of those ultra huge size plume(s)witnessed sub sea and may subsequently dissociate to release oil& gas from physical bondage with water.
(2) I do consider this a real probability since it is almost established fact that vast reserves of methane hydrates are seen/quoted to be present at ocean bed in huge depth under sea water;this gives me the logical/scientific rationale as well.
Forum Giants may guide/comment further

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

The USGS has various hydrate near-mudline deposit explotation studies in progress. There's supposed to be vast quantities of the stuff in the deeper colder waters off the US' NE coast as I recall. Some also say, that when they become unstable and float up to the surface, they could be responsible for the strange ship sinkings in calm weather and other disappearences ascribed to the "Bermuda Triangle".

"We have a leadership style that is too directive and doesn't listen sufficiently well. The top of the organisation doesn't listen sufficiently to what the bottom is saying." Tony Hayward CEO BP

Something to think about anyway.

They say as the gas breaks out from the hydrate as it warms in higher water layers as it rises, the sea water in a localized area might reduce in density enough that it no longer provides sufficient buoyancy to float a ship. I don't know how that applies to the aircraft that have disappeared there, but it could explain the ships.

"I don't know how that applies to the aircraft "

Big gas bubble displacing air, low flying plane enters the cloud and engines immediately quit, possibly pilot asphyxiated as well. It's a theory, at least.

Works for me, except the pilot has O2 and finds out about reduced buoyancy and possibly more hydrates the hard way.

Probably time for this thread to end, wouldn't you say?

Didn't Myth Busters do a methane will stop an aircraft engine show once. I remember that someone did. If the methane displaces enough oxygen, the engine stops.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Interesting discussion seems carrying reasonable value towards resolving "Bermuda Triangle" Myths in some way!

Just a layman's query,has this anything to do with the local extreme gravitational forces labeled as involved; or it's just a myth.

Having said that, Just a point to ponder,whether this gravitational pull has any relationship to help or make difficult "oozing out gusher issue resolution"?

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

Local gravity just seems higher on a tropical beach. Alcohol plays a factor too. Don't believe it? Try getting out of a beach chair there...

Update about latest plug:

This from

" Phil says:
July 15, 2010 at 8:09 pm

@kirkmyers says:
July 15, 2010 at 7:03 pm

“Many experts worry that the well casing below has been compromised. If so, the cap could result in a subsurface blowout, jettisoning oil through the ocean floor. They are monitoring pressure to ensure that the well stays at 8,000 psi or higher for 48 hours. This isn’t over by a long shot.”

According to they were expecting about 9,000 psi but only reached about 6,700 psi. It was expected to go a little higher to maybe top out at about 7,000 psi, which may be inconclusive. The lower pressure may indicate a leak in the borehole or it may indicate that the formation has been depleted somewhat by running uncontrolled for so long and the reservoir pressure is no longer the 11,900 psi or so that was originally measured. The good news is that the cap is exceeding the 3,000 psi to 4,000 psi needed to help balance the relief well when the bottom kill is attempted. The relief well is about 5,000 feet higher than the Macondo well, because the mud would be pumped into the relief well from a rig floating at sea level and the Macondo well BOP is at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico."

OilDrum web site appears to be continually updating their info. See

from the BBC, "BP says drilling mud pumped into its ruptured Gulf of Mexico well is holding the oil down, a major step towards permanently sealing it."

Dik

... and from the BBC, "The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico caused by the Deepwater Horizon rig explosion has so far cost BP a total of $6.1bn ($3.8bn), the company has said.

The total includes the cost of the spill response, containment, relief well drilling, and cementing up of the damaged well."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back