Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

should i accept a low-ball offer? 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragedriven

Geotechnical
May 9, 2008
US
I have 4 years experience in geotechnical engineering, I just sat for my PE exam last weekend and likely passed. My previous salaries steadily increased to just under $60,000 over the last 4 years.

I have been laid off for 8 months now. I have had very few call backs. I got an interivew, then called back for a 2nd, and then a 3rd, just got an offer letter for $37,000/yr with an expectation of 55 hrs/week (comes out to $13/hr).

I'm not sure I would be able to pay the mortgage with that, much less be comfortable with a wife and 3 kids. I haven't gotten any reliable salary info for the Southern US, but a licensed geotechnical PE for $37K? At this point in my career I wouldn't be stamping anything of course.

The offer letter states I have 2 days to accept, this makes me think they have 5 or more candidates and low-ball each one til someone accepts. Should I try to counter offer, just take it, or refuse? I dont have a gauruntee of a pay increase to match my experiencea year or 2 years down the line. Maybe they think i'll work for a 10% raise every year and in 30 years be back to what i was making.

I am currently thinking I will make a counter for at least $45,000 and continue with the job search if they refuse.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not saying what i did was right, but i got low-balled once.

They called me and told me over the phone, i told them they must have mad a mistake because it was $6k less then i was currently making. Then I politely told the lady no thank you.

The next week I got a job offer, for the place i work now with a 12% raise.

I was lucky but if you get low balled hopefully something better may be right around the corner.

Cheers

<---------- OP
thanks for all the responses. I definitely took them all into consideration during all of this.

It went something like this... The next day I guess they expected me to accept. I only responded with an email saying:
The offer is lower than I expected and I would like some time to think about it. ect. ect. fluff

Got a feeler call after this, answered and dodged all loaded questions and reiterated i would like to consider it further.

I read all the wonderful responses here again. Then set to work creating a professionally styled, point by point, counter offer. As opposed to haggling on the phone, I felt i could better state my case in a counter letter.

I further researched salaries, the most helpful info was from my univ. career center's posted STARTING salaries, also surrounding regional universities. Though these didn't directly apply to me as I am not a recent grad. These starting salaries were well above my offer, THOUGH the placement rates had fallen below 40% from the 90+% when i graduated. So I craftily worded the base salary section.

I added on $10K, next highest bonus level package, 90 wait period for benefits waived, and an immediate $5k bump upon PE licensure. PDF'd it and sent it over that night.

Got a call back the next day, and they accepted my counter in full, so i accepted. Not what I was making but at least I'm in the ball park now and Employed and out of the house. Thanks guys!

ps. you know i didn't expect to become a rich man when i studied civil, nor did i expect to become a poor man, but my family size qualifies for state health care benefits '09-'10 with this salary. Maybe i should change fields!

Glad to hear you got an offer that is more reasonable. [cheers]

However, you are still getting a sub-standard pay, particularly if you are putting in more than 40 hours a weeks. Keep your eyes and ears open.

ps. you know i didn't expect to become a rich man when i studied civil, nor did i expect to become a poor man, but my family size qualifies for state health care benefits '09-'10 with this salary. Maybe i should change fields!

The wealthiest man in the world has a degree in civil engineering (carlos slim helo) - as does the CEO of ExxonMobil.

Life is what you make of it.

ragedriven:
So, what is our commission for your salary and benefits raise?;)

Seriously, good luck and I hope in 6 months time you are posting saying that you were raised another 10K due to your good performance.

Thank you for the follow up. Now when someone else comes here with the same situation you can give them some hope.

I have found it best to negotiate when accepting a new job. It is usually the only chance you will get to do it.

Good job ragedriven! I was going to recommend that you not take it or counter. It's never a good thing to be in a place where you are forced to accept something you should not have to. For me, it would have been a no brainer and told them NO DEAL. But now I'm going to archive this thread and use your tactics!

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

Ragedriven,

Outstanding!!! As sourdough Jack sez: "ya done good!". Obviously, you thought logically and clear enough about the situation, of which only you know all details, to seek a better resolution. This is typical of engineers.

As my fellow co-workers state: "Do not let the bastards wear ya down".

Congrats on employment and good luck with your future!
-pmover

My worst job and longest employment was after a low ball offer. Hold out for something better. They say that offers come in bunches. I can confirm that from experience.

ragedriven,

Congrats! You did exactly as I (and others) recommended, and it worked out beautifully. Now you are in a much better position to find the next opportunity, as the market keeps (hopefully) improving. Get back to work, settle in, and then make sure to keep your feelers out there for an even better opportunity!

-Tony Staples

Congratulations. You have successfully navigated the jungle of unemployment. Best wishes in your new position.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back